24 February 2006

NIMAS HALF MARATHON -Sunday, 19 February 2006 - Hillcrest, Durban, SA It was the first road race ever, I had to commute to all on my lonesome. Conroy was man down with flu. With the race being held close by, I decided to brave it solo. A 21.1km (half marathon) and 42.2km (full marathon) was hosted by Nimas. The 42.2km was also a Comrades qualifying race. The race started at 5:00am in Hospital Road, Hillcrest and made its way through Winston Park and back. The course was relatively flat with long gradual inclines - not too harsh on the body - definitely a PB (personal best) route for those daring and energetic souls! It was a very hot and humid day (normal for February in KZN). Water/Coke stations were well stocked, manned and organized and were little isolated areas of soul and thirst replenishing stations that popped-up every 3km along the route. The last 4km of the race had me all hot and bothered, as we made our way back Old Main Road to the Hillcrest Sports club field. My walking time was 2h47 (not a PB), but not too slow for my current fitness level.
I was back at home at 08:20 where Conroy (the signs of flu only a distant memory) stood ready cracking the whip to get me ready for some retail therapy at the Pavilion. Needless to say, my aching body actually needed 'sleep therapy' which it only got on our return from the Pavilion at 2:30pm.
- Therapy deprived signing off!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by here at {Doing Life}. Please know that your comment is valued. Hope you enjoyed your stay.
Crafty hugs
Desire