24 September 2006

- Sunday, 24 September 2006
I had a rude awakening this morning with tea and Marmite & Peanut Butter/Syrup toast vagely taking shape while I was trying to pry my eyes open. This was at 4:30am and that on a Sunday morning. Conroy was making sure that our tummies are properly lined for the 21.1km (half-marathon) we were about to tackle at 6:15am at the Kings Park Stadium.
The weather was absolutely perfect, overcast, cool and a few teasing rain drops.
I would like to thank my friend (TP Gang intruder) for making the km's go by a little faster than usual. Michelle you are an excellent walk pace setter. Without you next to me ensuring a positive/sharp mindset, I would have never completed the race in 2h53. I was very excited about my time, although it did not look like it at the finish, especially being somewhat unfit at the moment.
Michelle also kept us light hearted, especially when she spotted some lost 'hair extensions' on the ground just before the 19km mark. This made me visualise one of the super athletes at the front of the field sprinting at top speed with hair extensions coming undone and flying in all directions. Fortunately this will never be my fate, whether I am a front runner or a back plodder!
Conroy ran the race in 1h54.
- Off to power napping for tomorrow's 10km race!
- Monday, 25 September 2006 (Heritage Day)

Once again the alarm went off at a seriously uncomfortable 5am. This time to foolishly inflict some more damage to our muscles (and that willingly). The little tough one started in the parking lot of the old Sanlam Centre, now known as the Pine Crest Centre, in Pinetown at 7:10am.

Unbeknown to us, the LITTLE Tough One actually meant the HUGE Tough One. There were countless hills that felt like mountains after our 21.1km of yesterday which left our muscles very uncooperative. The hills were crept over whilst negotiating serious hot gale force winds from the front and side.

Michelle (TP Gang intruder and a walker referee), you should not have bothered refereeing me, for in case I have both feet off the ground - I could not even lift them, not to mention having them both off the ground at once?

The race was very well organised. The athletes felt unusually safe with police officers manning every street corner and crossing. Thank you 'Big' Dave for a very well organised and enjoyable race. Just a thought as far as future marketing of the race is concerned - perhaps you should hand out more pamphlets at all the big official races. Most people did not even know about the race.

My walking time was 78 minutes (5 woman walker overall) and Conroy's running time was 53 minutes.

PS: We got a T-shirt for both the races we have done this long weekend. So now we can also say 'been there, done that, got the T-shirt'.

- Off to attack the Repragel Tube


  1. Anonymous4:19 PM

    Wow teacha!! I'm very impressed with all this energy you have............even after having to put up with the rowdy TP gang! Well done to you guys! (I think we need to have a little chat about the meaning of the words "holiday" and "weekend" when I next see you.? They're supposed to be relaxing lazy days - you're making the rest of us look bad!! And what's this nonsense of that TP gang intruder getting in some extra time with the teacher???

  2. Anonymous7:05 AM

    The TP Gang sorts out Tha Teacha on Thursday nights - I sort her out on the road!!!

    Desire I really enjoyed the walk. I could not beleive that we were doing the pace we were and I was really comfortable. It was great walking with you and I am glad you enjoyed it. You are not so unfit - you really walked well. Keep it up.

    Michelle (the Walker)


Thank you for stopping by here at {Doing Life}. Please know that your comment is valued. Hope you enjoyed your stay.
Crafty hugs